Monday 9 December 2013

CONTRAST


My life is full of contrasts. I’m an Australian living in Spain, my husband is either around full time or away working, I speak Spanish and yet most of the time I understand nothing.
A few weeks ago I was at a yoga retreat as a single entity- (i.e. by myself) and the weekend before that we’d been in Denmark at Lego land as a family.  For some reason that particular contrast struck me the most and I thought I’d write about it.
The yoga retreat was run by my yoga instructor in a gorgeous casa in the mountains of Segart, approx 30 mins from my home and Valencia city. The group consisted of 4 Spaniards, 2 Australians, 1 New Zealander, 3 Americans, 1 Frenchwoman, 3 Germans, and 1 Brit.  A good demonstration of contrast if ever I saw it!
The food was vegetarian and made lovingly by the sprightliest 79 year old I’ve ever met. The accommodation was basic but comfortable and the atmosphere was calm, respectful and tranquil.
The retreat started on a Friday evening and ended after lunch on the Sunday. Our time was spent doing various levels of yoga, meditating, (my most challenging pursuit), walking in the hills, enjoying some free time, (which I spent writing or in conversation with other participants) and dining. 
I was rooming with a dear friend and it was like being on camp. The first night we both crashed and the second, we chatted like school kids.
The room was dark, there were no interruptions other than the need to wee and the novelty of not being ‘on duty’ was huge!!!!

In contrast to this our weekend in Denmark was a little different. Not bad different, just different.

Our decision to visit Denmark was spontaneous. Mike was looking at tickets to Prague and came across cheap flights from Alicante, (a 2 hour drive from VLC) to Bilund, (Lego land is situated at the end of the runway). The park was due to close for the winter and we thought, “Well why not”!
The kids’ excitement was infectious and if the truth be told I’m not sure who was more excited, Mike and I or the kids.
It was cold and damp when we arrived and we headed straight to the Lego land hotel. A castle tower complete with small green dragon greeted us at the entrance, along with jack-o-lanterns and Halloween paraphernalia, (Halloween was the following weekend).

We were all pretty excited.

Darth Vader graced the entrance hall complete with light sabre and some more pumpkins. A HUGE green dragon met us upon entering. It was wrapped around a tree house/ pirate boat, complete with stairs, which the kids, now beside themselves with excitement, ran up and down at least 40 times, while we were checking in.  A Lego throne, Lego figures, Lego pits filled to the brim and of course a Lego shop extracted more than a few ooo’s and ahhh’s and ‘mummy look, daddy look’, while we literally watched in delight.
Dinner, despite a little wait and the price, (yet another contrast- eating out in Spain vs. eating out anywhere else!!!) was fantastic. The children had little Lego packets on their pillows, the beds were extremely comfortable and we all went off to sleep together- bathroom light left on of course.
The next day, whilst not without a few hunger, fatigue and ‘not-quite-tall-enough’ blowups, was brilliant.
It started with the most amazing breakfast buffet I’ve seen in a while- possibly ever. We had direct access to the park from the hotel and 10am couldn’t come around quickly enough.
The park was very age appropriate for our two. We all had a huge amount of fun looking at the Lego constructions. I had to do a fair bit of explaining for the Star Wars section. I was all excited, making comments on the Millennium Falcon, the Ice Planet Hoth, Tatooine and the Mos Eisley cantina. The kids were wondering what I was on about.  Other re-creations included an airport, European cities, a jungle, the Wild West, Atlantis, Pirates, a castle, a trip on a boat around cities of the world, the Arctic and much more. Each section had a ride and both kids were able to go on most. Seb learnt about height and that he was lacking a few centimeters and Lilly went on a few roller coasters- one with Mike and one with me. In contrast to the last time I went on a rollercoaster- I had to squeeze my eyes shut and could not wait for it to be over! Lilly kept asking me if I was all right! 

They day went on and our weekend continued wonderfully with treasured friends who live in Denmark. 

What's become obvious to me whilst writing about the contrasts, is actually the constant between the two.

Both weekends were a lot of fun and both were enriching to me as a person and a parent. 

Hmmm I might need to experience a few more weekends like the above, just to clarify this...


No comments:

Post a Comment